Before the fourth round of Chess Olympiad worldsport.ge talked to world champion Maia Chiburdanidze.
- How do you summarize competition of our teams?
- I expected such start. It is good that our all six teams won. The competition is based on Swiss system and of course, it will get tenser. I want to note that Bulgarian Cheparinov strengthened Georgia’s men team and we can get in Top 10. As for our women’s first team, I think, they must fight for championship and the second team can get in Top 10.
- Cheparinov has the highest ranking in Georgia’s men team but today he is playing on the second board…
- Chess Olympiad is a team game. It is a tactical move – Baadur Jobava is not playing today, Mikheil Mchedlishvili is playing on the first board and Cheparinov – on the second one. Of course, this tactic will bring us more points.
- Batumi is hosting such high level tournament for the first time…
- It is a great honor that FIDE gave us the right to host Chess Olympiad. Everything is organized at high level. I loved the opening ceremony at Black Sea Arena. I am sure this Olympiad will be one of the best in the history of chess.
- And finally, tell us about your plans, you have not been in active chess for a long time…
- Yes, I am not going to return to active chess but I plan to create chess academy or school. Georgia needs to bring up stars again as our country has big traditions in chess.
Tengiz Chobanidze, specially for worldsport.ge from Batumi